Zebra’s popular QL™ family of direct thermal mobile label printers has built a highly satisfied following based upon its proven drop-resistant durability; user- friendly, productivity-boosting features; and easy integration. As Zebra’s third generation of QL printers, the QLn series extends these QL-platform benefits to the “nth” power—whether you choose the QLn220™ for print widths up to 2 inches or the QLn320™ for 3-inch-wide printing.
The printers’ over-molding and tempered-glass display— coupled with their seamless, one-piece design—make them more durable than ever before. These printers can boost your operation’s productivity through their larger, sharper, easier-to- navigate display; faster, higher- quality printing; a variety of proactive alerts that help keep working printers in employees’ hands; and many convenient charging accessories. And, your IT department will find the QLn printers more intuitive to integrate into existing platforms thanks to Zebra’s Link-OS® environment. Other features such as Zebra Global Printing and improved network performance—including 802.11n wireless LAN capability for more robust and reliable connectivity and throughput—also make integration easier.
With Zebra’s Link-OS environment—an innovative operating system combining a powerful Multiplatform Software Development Kit (SDK) and software applications—the QLn printers are easy to integrate, manage and maintain from any location around the globe. Enabled with Print Touch™, these Link-OS printers offer web page launching features using Near Field Communication (NFC), making it easy to access Zebra’s extensive knowledge base of how-to videos and product support.
Ideal for These Applications
shelf-edge labels, mark-down labels, price labels and tags, sell-by labels, transfer and return labels
bedside specimen labels, pharmacy labels
Transportation & Logistics:
shipping/receiving labels, pallet/ case labels, cross-docking labels, warehouse management labels
EASIER TO INTEGRATE, MANAGE AND MAINTAIN
New features make it easier to integrate the QLn printer into your existing network and manage it from anywhere in the world – saving you IT time and costs.
Easier to Integrate
• Move your business forward without the cost or stress of upgrades. Backwards compatibility with QL and QL Plus™ models lets you upgrade to the QLn printer without changing media or label formats. The inclusion of the legacy CPCL programming language also allows mixed networks of QL/QL Plus and QLn products.
• Be assured of full compatibility with many other Zebra printers thanks to Zebra’s ZPL® programming language. And with ZBI 2.x™, directly connect your printers with legacy host systems and peripheral devices, such as scanners and scales.
• Maintain robust and reliable connectivity, even for your largest data transfers, with Wi-Fi®-certified connectivity. Zebra’s 802.11n solution has dual-band support (5 GHz and 2.4 GHZ) and is fully compatible with 802.11a and 802.11b/g standards, so you can easily move business operations to the less-crowded 5 GHz band.
• The Link-OS tools include:
– Software Development Kit – create printing applications for Windows®, Apple®, Android™, Windows® CE, Windows® Mobile and BlackBerry® platforms.
– Cloud Connect – connect to the Cloud directly and securely, forwarding data from any port.
– Virtual Devices – support multiple programming languages on one printer and integrate Zebra Link- OS printers into existing legacy systems.
– Print Touch – simplify Bluetooth® pairing and launch Web-based help pages with NearField Communication-enabled devices.
• Quickly configure single printers with the Zebra Setup Utility and enable global printer management with ZebraNet™ Bridge Enterprises.
• Efficiently print and optimize your labels with ZebraDesigner™ Pro for label design and ZebraDesigner drivers for Windows. Print multiple languages on a single label using Zebra’s Unicode™ UTF-16-compliant Global Printing Solution.
• Work with the confidence that comes with industry- leading solutions. The QLn420 features improved communication with leading handheld terminals that have been tested and verified for maximum interoperability when using the printer with validated terminals. Zebra Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Partners create industry-leading software solutions to solve business problems, and Zebra works closely with these ISVs to integrate printing and other capabilities of Zebra products. Zebra-validated applications can be found at zebra.com/validation.
Easier to Manage
• Manage all aspects of your networked Link-OS printers from just one screen with Profile Manager. There’s no need to switch between applications to get the job done, and you can manage the simple admin console remotely on your PC, tablet or smartphone.
• Keep printers in service longer by managing specific, local printer and battery issues remotely over a wired IP network, including Serial and Bluetooth, via a Zebra Ethernet cradle. And with AirWatch™ Connector, you can quickly connect your printer with the AirWatch device-management system via WLAN and Ethernet.
• Automatically update printer firmware and configuration from a file server over 802.11 or Ethernet interfaces with the mirror function.
• Manage QLn printers using most of the popular third- party management software solutions. The printers also fully support Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
Easier to Maintain
• Reduce wasted time and lost productivity with the smart battery, which indicates the power and health of a printer’s battery.
• Effortlessly manage your printers and firmware by connecting your devices to your wired Ethernet network and/or cradle.
EASIER AND MORE EFFICIENT TO USE
Multiple enhancements deliver significant operational advantages over the previous-generation QL and QL Plus series mobile printers.
Easier to Use
The QLn family of printers were designed to optimize business processes through easy operation and mobility—reducing training requirements and increasing worker productivity.
• Meet the increasing demand for mobile printing across different operating systems. QLn printers are “Made for iPod®/iPhone®/iPad®” certified and also support Android and Windows devices via Multiplatform SDK apps.
• Easily operate the printer using simple-to-navigate controls and a user-friendly interface, which includes a help menu and alert messages.
• Quickly access Zebra’s extensive knowledge base of how-to videos and product support with Print Touch- enabled Web page launching features.
• Conveniently carry and store the printer thanks to a smaller design.
• Achieve faster, higher-quality printing with lower power use through Power Smart Print Technology™.
• Experience higher performance: – Faster processing and throughput. – Increased memory that handles printer’s advanced functions and future firmware improvements, and stores more complex fonts, graphics and images.
• Increase user and operational efficiencies with convenient charging accessories.
Longer Printer Uptime
Improve operational productivity and reduce costs associated with downtime through fewer printing interruptions.
• Monitor and manage the printer remotely using the Windows PC-based AirWatch Connector.
• Prevent associates from being stuck printerless in the middle of their work. The printer enables proactive maintenance by displaying printer alert messages, smart battery charge and health status.
• Avoid the downtime and costs of unnecessarily sending the printer away for servicing. Many issues can be remotely diagnosed and resolved (including firmware updates, configuration changes, and adding new fonts or graphics) over an Ethernet connection.
MOBILE A TO Z
FROM ACCESSORIES, TO SUPPLIES, TO ZEBRACARE™ PLANS
Lithium-Ion Charging Accessories
Connect QLn printers to your wired Ethernet network via the QLn Ethernet cradle to enable easy remote management by your IT or operations staff—helping to ensure each printer is operating optimally and ready for use. The Ethernet cradle can communicate over 10 mbps or 100 mbps networks using auto-sense.
The single-bay QLn Ethernet cradle also charges the battery while it is in the printer, while the 4-bay version (with optional wall mount kit) charges four printers at a time. The 4-bay version includes an internal Ethernet switch and second Ethernet port, so you can link and manage four 4-bay QLn Ethernet cradles (a total of 16 printers) from one port.
The printer remains fully functional so you can print while it is in either cradle. The cradle’s LED lights indicate DC power and Ethernet-link status.
Remote printer management over your Ethernet allows:
• Battery management for monitoring battery health. Knowing each battery’s lifespan stage simplifies central management of your spare-battery pool.
• Firmware management for updating printer firmware, eliminating the need for IT staff to travel to the local user site, or for the printer to be sent back to a central location for updating.
• Print management for updating templates, fonts and graphics in order to print new label formats.
• Device management for updating startup (e.g., config. sys), WML (front panel) or HTML (browser) files to enhance or change configuration and status collection.
• Network management for updating encryption keys or certificate files to maintain the highest level of security.
• Problem resolution and troubleshooting local printer issues that may otherwise require the printer to be sent in for repair.
• Ability to manage Bluetooth printers, which traditionally have been off-network.
What comes with the cradle?
Unit with AC Adapter:
Cradle, AC adapter, power cord and document CD including cradle user manual and installation guide.
Cradle and document CD including cradle user manual and installation guide (AC adapter can be purchased separately).
Connect the AC adapter to your QLn and wall outlet to charge the printer’s smart battery while in the printer. The printer can print labels and perform other functions during charging. Shown with printer for reference purposes; printer is not included.
The smart charger will fully charge a single standalone QLn smart battery in less than four hours. In addition to indicating battery-charge status, it leverages the battery’s smart design to indicate battery health, allowing you to more accurately manage your spare battery pool. Specifically, LEDs show whether the battery is “good,” has a “diminished capacity,” is “past useful life” or is “unusable” and should be replaced. The smart charger comes with charging base and power cord. Shown with printer for reference purposes; printer is not included.
Extended Capacity Li-Ion Smart Battery
The Extended Capacity Li-Ion smart battery option provides twice the battery capacity over the standard smart battery, providing double the power for increased uptime. No need to upgrade your existing QLn printer—you can purchase this as a standalone accessory to use with your current QLn220 or QLn320. Or, order it as a configurable printer option so your printer ships ready to go with this powerful accessory. The choice is yours.
Quad Battery Charger
The quad battery charger is designed to simultaneously charge up to four QLn smart batteries (removed from the printer) in about three hours. Lights on the charger indicate when individual batteries are 80 percent charged and when fully charged. Note the quad battery charger does not indicate battery health, as provided with the smart charger. Comes with the charging unit, a power supply, and power cord.
Allows the printer to be carried by hand.
Allows the printer to be carried over the shoulder.
Add an extra layer of protection for harsh environments with a soft case. While in the case, the printer is IP54-rated for resistance to windblown water and dust. Case provides openings for changing the media and batteries and all connectors are accessible. Includes shoulder strap.
Genuine Zebra™ Supplies
Ensure consistent print quality, reduce downtime and increase productivity in your printing process with Genuine Zebra supplies. We manufacture each supplies product with the exact same materials every time so you always get crisp, readable and scannable output without needing to adjust the printer darkness setting between rolls.
Increase printer uptime and reduce lost productivity and unbudgeted repair costs by selecting a ZebraCare Depot service agreement. A cost-effective means of planning and budgeting your annual maintenance expenditures, your agreement ensures that trained Zebra technicians will bring your printer back to factory specifications. Zebra offers a variety of plans to fit your budget and business needs.
SPECIFICATIONS AT A GLANCE*
For information about other printers in the QLn family, please visit our web site.
• Apple® iOS, Android, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry® connectivity
• Direct thermal printing of barcodes, text and graphics
• CPCL, EPL™ and ZPL® programming languages
• 256 MB Flash supports downloadable programs, receipt formats, fonts and graphics (64 MB available for user storage)
• 2450 mAh (nominal) 18.1 Wh removable, rechargeable Li-Ion battery
• Built-in battery charger
• Serial and USB ports (both support strain relief)
• Belt clip for unobtrusive and convenient printing (not compatible with extended capacity battery)
• Black mark and gap media sensing using fixed center position sensors
• Easy-to-use peel and present mode
• Label present sensor for issuing labels one at a time
• Tear bar for easy media dispensing
• Center-loading media locking for variable roll widths
• “Clamshell” design for easy media loading
• Management: Mirror, SNMP, Web server, Profile Manager, AirWatch® and Wavelink Avalanche®
• Large, easy-to-read LCD control panel (240 x 128 pixels)
• LCD can be customized using WML (text and icons)
• 5-way navigation buttons, two software defined keys
• Printer alerts on the display, help menus
• Tolerance of multiple drops from 5’/1.52 m to concrete
• IP43 dust- and water-resistance rating (IP54 with soft case)
• 400 MHz 32-bit ARM processor
• XML support
• Supports vertical and horizontal printing
• Printers can be used in any orientation
• QR barcode links to web-based help pages
• Zebra Print Touch simplifies Bluetooth pairing and launches web-based help pages with Near Field Communication (NFC) enabled devices
• Label odometer
• Real-time clock
• 203 dpi/8 dots per mm
128 MB RAM; 256 MB Flash (standard)
• QLn220: 1.9”/48 mm
• QLn320: 2.9”/72 mm
• Min: 0.5”/12.7 mm
• Max: 32”/813 mm
Up to 4”/102 mm per second
Black mark and gap media sensing using fixed center position sensors; label present sensor for issuing labels one at a time
• Operating Temperature:
-4°F (-20°C) to 122°F (50°C)
• Storage/Transport Temperature:
-13° F/-25° C to 158° F/65° C
• Operating Humidity: 10% to 90% non-condensing
• Storage Humidity: 10% to 90% non-condensing
• Emissions: FCC Part 15, Subpart B, EN55022 Class-B, EN60950, EN55024 and VCCI class B
• Susceptibility: EN55024, EN61000-4-2, EN61000-4-3, EN61000-4-4, and EN61000-4-5
• Safety: CE, UL, TUV, CSA
• QLn220: 0.63”/16 mm to 2.18”/55.4 mm
• QLn320: 1.0”/25 mm to 3.125”/79 mm
• QLn220: 0.5”/12.7 mm to 32”/813 mm
• QLn320: 0.5”/12.7 mm to 32”/813 mm or continuous
Maximum Media Roll Size
• QLn220: 2.2”/55.9 mm OD on a 0.75”/19 mm or 1.375”/34.9 mm
• QLn320: 2.6”/66 mm OD on a 0.75”/19 mm or
• 1.375”/34.9 mm
• QLn220: 2.3 mil to 5.5 mil tag stock and 6.5 mil label stock
• QLn320: 2.3 mil to 5.5 mil tag stock and 6.5 mil label stock
Die-cut labels and tags, linerless labels, receipt paper, black bar and gap sensing
QLn220 QLn320 Width:
3.5”/89 mm 4.6”/117 mm
Height: 2.75”/70 mm 3.3”/84 mm
Depth: 6.5”/165 mm 6.8”/173 mm
Weight: 1.25 lbs/0.57 kg 1.6 lbs/0.72 kg with battery with battery
Note: The Extended Capacity Li-Ion smart battery option adds 0.20 lbs/0.09 kg to the weight and 0.6”/16 mm to the height of either QLn series printer.
• Document Design: Quickly design a customized print solution using your business data and Zebra’s intuitive, plug-and-print design tools.
• Device Integration: Zebra offers apps and products designed to help you integrate Zebra devices into your existing systems.
• Device Management: Manage your print operations locally and globally with Zebra’s suite of device management tools.
• Developer Tools: Provides you the tools you need to create your own apps, including documentation, source code, programming languages, templates and more.
• CPCL, EPL and ZPL programming languages
• ZBI 2.x™—powerful programming language that lets printers run standalone applications, connect to peripherals, and much more
Fonts and Character Sets
• Standard Fonts: 25 bitmapped, 1 smooth, scalable (CG Triumvirate Bold Condensed**)
• Optional Fonts: downloadable bitmapped/scalable fonts
• International Character Sets (optional): Chinese 16 x 16 (traditional), 16 x 16 (simplified); Japanese 16 x 16, 24 x 24; Korean Mincho
CPCL Barcode Symbologies
• Barcode Ratios: 1.5:1, 2:1, 2.5:1, 3:1, 3.5:1
• Linear Barcodes: Code 39, Code 93, UCC/EAN128, Code 128, Codabar (NW-7), Interleaved 2-of-5, UPC-A, UPC-E, 2 and 5 digit add-on, EAN-8, EAN-13, 2 and 5 digit add-on
• 2-Dimensional: PDF417, MicroPDF417, MaxiCode, QR Code, GS1/DataBar™ (RSS) family, Aztec, MSI/ Plessey, FIM Postnet, Data Matrix, TLC39
Communication and Interface Capabilities
• ZebraNet® 802.11n option—provides 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN support with:
– WEP (PSK only), TKIP and AES encryption
– WPA and WPA2 – 802.1x (with WPA or WPA2 only)
– EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-TLS, PEAP, LEAP
– 802.11d and 802.11i
– Simultaneous Bluetooth 3.0 dual radio
– Wi-Fi Certification – Fast roaming using PMK caching, CCKM or Fast Session resumption
• Bluetooth 3.0 radio
– Security modes 1 – 4
– “Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad” certified
– Key Bonding
• 10/100 Ethernet support (via charging cradle)
Cabled Communications Specifications
• USB 2.0 full-speed interface (12 Mbps)
• Mini-B connector with optional strain relief
• Serial interface: 14-pin RS-232C port for communication to terminal or other host up to 115.2 Kbps
Options and Accessories
• Charge the battery inside the printer using: – AC adapter – Single cradle – Quad cradle
• Charge the battery outside the printer using: – Single smart charger – Quad charger
Optional Features and Accessories
• Linerless printing (with silicone platen roller only)
• ZBI 2.x
• Spare batteries
• 4300 mAh (nominal) removable extended capacity Li-Ion battery (4-cell bump out pack)
• AC adapter
• SC2 smart battery single charger
• Quad battery charger
• Vehicle charger with cigarette lighter adapter
• QLn-EC—single bay Ethernet and charging cradle (not compatible with extended capacity battery)
• QLn-EC4—quad bay Ethernet and charging cradle, with internal switch and stacking port (not compatible with extended capacity battery)
• Shoulder strap
• Hand strap
• Soft case (IP54 rating when used)—not compatible with extended capacity battery
• Printer stand for tabletop mounting
• Serial and USB cables with strain relief